No announcement yet.

Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mysterious Cities of Gold animated series. (1982-1983) 1986-1990 (Nickelodeon) 2012-current.

Comment

international-guidelines-for-problem-solving-problem-solution-problem-solution-problem-44648972.png

Comment

Flintstones-car-melville-2020.jpg
        This is one of my regular customers, and a really nice guy. He owns an autobody shop and built this pedal-powered Flintstones car to entertain himself and his grandkids a couple of years ago.

Comment

1865319.gif

Comment

My local paper just won the gaffe of the year award.

Here is the front page of one of the sections in today's edition:

spotlight.JPG

It's a puff piece on the city of Oak Glen, CA, which is a pretty little town in the San Bernardino Mountains. The annual apple picking season is a big thing up there. It traditionally starts on Labor Day, and you can drive up to one of the orchard farms, pay a fee, and pick and take away your own apples. There are restaurants and other amusements in the town, too.

Note the references to "safety precautions" and "back to nature" in the story.

Now, here is a view of this place, taken from our car about 200 yards from our home, yesterday evening - around the time that newspaper would be being printed.

oakglen_fire.JPG
            The fire was already getting bad by yesterday lunchtime, so the fact that they went ahead and printed this either illustrates serious incompetence, or a black sense of humor. I wonder if apple flambé will be on the menu up there?

Comment

Our fire is now the lead headline on a national news site (Fox), and on the front page of several others. It turns out that not only did it inspire the gaffe of the year, but was caused by the moron of the year (a smoke machine used at a "gender reveal party" being held on state land up in the mountains). The sky here in Loma Linda (about 10 miles away as the crow flies), is dark gray from the smoke, looking like it's about to rain, with a light covering of fine ash over pretty much every exterior surface.

Comment

https://canoe.com/news/world/odds-an...-73dc1758f3ee/

English actor Stuart Antony was befuddled after purchasing a chopping board from home furnishing store Dunelm that had very specific instructions.

According to the U.K. Mirror, ‘The Bar’ star went shopping at the budget home store when he stumbled across the wooden chopping board. He then read the sticker on the back and was confused.
                EhiRdbcXsAA1oRU-e1600282907520.jpg

Comment

Not unlike the warning on the sleeping pill bottle. "Can cause drowsiness"

Comment

hand-grenade.jpg

Probably still one of my favorite Chinglish translations.

Comment

“Grenade” is technically correct... meaning “a container of chemicals” but, in common English, it usually means “a handheld explosive device.”

There used to be such a thing as a “fire grenade” which was a glass ball filled with carbon tetrachloride that a person could throw at a fire but those have fallen out of favor because they release poison gas when the carbon tet mixes with the burning materials.

It sounds like the translator of that sign used the literal translation of “grenade” but probably didn’t think that there could be another meaning to speakers of other languages.

Google Translate strikes again!

It is pretty funny, though!

I wonder what the Chinese version actually says.
                      Last edited by Randy Stankey; 09-21-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

In our 1907 farm house (which I sold years ago though my mother forgets that now *sigh*) there were a couple of red fire grenades hanging on special hooks near the ceiling. I've never seen them in-the-wild anywhere else, though.

I think they were up near the ceiling because they were supposed to explode automatically if there was a fire in the room.

Comment

We used to have them in my old house, too.

They were in cone shaped holders with sprinkler holes in the bottom. If a fire occurred, a fusible link would break, causing a spring loaded plunger to shatter the glass and release the carbon tet.

I used to think they were giant ice cream cones.

Comment

I have one in my house that I got from a closed theatre I was allowed to pillage.

Comment

I assume that you understand the properties of carbon tet and how to handle it, of course....

There is a firefighter’s museum in town and they have several different kinds of fire grenades in their collection. They have some on display and some in safe storage. The stored ones are kept in locked chemical storage cabinets and the display items have been carefully drilled open and the contents replaced with water then they were marked “Dummy for Display Only.” The carbon tet was disposed of in an appropriate manner.

My ex-wife was in charge of the Erie Historical Museum and I was able to take a backstage tour of the place.

There was lots of interesting stuff in that place!

That’s how I learned what those “ice cream cones” in my old house were and how they worked. When they told me what was inside them I was like “OMFG!”

Comment

I have real extinguishers, too. The grenade is for decorative purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                                X