Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Movie Posters (scans)

2340 scanned posters.

I have no idea where these came from or who did the scanning, but all of them (or at least those that I've looked at so far) look pretty good!

https://archive.org/details/illustra..._Movie_Posters

This archive provides the images in a number of different formats, including pdf, cbz, abbyy and jp2. They don't seem to be in any particular order, and the filenames are just numbered so if you want to find a particular image, well, that might be a challenge.

I think I've just found my new screensaver images.

Edit: I just discovered that the xscreensaver (the standard Unix/Linux screensaver daemon) that I have on this computer doesn't reecognize jp2 images. Accordingly, I used imagemagick to convert the images to jpg and now they work fine with xscreensaver. The filesizes approximately doubled, but other than that I don't see any difference in the appearance of the images. I zoomed a couple of them up to "ridiculous" and compared the jpg and the jp2 and they look exactly the same to my uneducated eye, so I guess nothing was lost when I converted them.
    Last edited by Frank Cox; 06-13-2021, 04:15 PM. Reason: Update re xscreensaver

The Internet Archive is a non-profit under U.S. law, is recognized as a library and gets their money from grants, donation and some government funds. While it employs some people who actually earn a living there, much of the input also comes from volunteers.

But have you ever checked The MovieDB? It even comes with a neat API where you can request assets like film posters of a particular title. We use this to display the "now playing" movie on the screen near the entrance of our screening room. While the whole thing is just a fancy HTML and JavaScript hackjob, it's pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
    X