Godzilla Vs. Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla Vs. Kong

This movie delivers exactly what it advertises. There are two or three faceoffs between Godzilla and Kong (depending on how you define where a fight starts and stops). Each one is full of monster body slams and copious property destruction. They're also beyond ludicrous and over the top, but it's clear the moment Kong starts hopscotching across destroyers on his way punching Godzilla atop an aircraft carrier that the filmmakers are fully embracing the absurdity and don't mind one bit.

Humans, on the other hand, are unremarkable and boring, spending their time alternating between overblown acting tics and staring agape at some far off special effect.

The movie certainly looks great. This isn't due to the CGI, which is competent but not all that exceptional. Instead, it's due to director Adam Wingard's use of strong colors and contrast. Godzilla and Kong might be smashing up another city, but they're doing it at night in and amongst brightly lit neon buildings that capture all the shattering glass, smoke and atomic breath wonderfully.

The sound mix is, unsurprisingly, LOUD. REALLY REALLY LOUD. Even at our lower-than-reference volume, this puppy kicks, and I definitely had some audio fatigue when it was all over. In 7.1 (no Atmos) the sound field is very aggressive, with lots of attention grabbing surround use and a very powerful and active LFE. It's quite a sledgehammer of a soundtrack. There's a particular sound cue about midway through that goes from extremely intense noise to absolute silence in a split second. It can easily fool one into thinking they just fried the sound system. There's a lot of "wink wink nudge nudge" in this movie, and I sometimes wonder if the mixers did this on purpose just to punk theater owners and projectionists.

Is it a good movie? I don't think movies like this can really be evaluated on the classic "good/bad" scale. Does it deliver monster smashing, city wrecking, fire breathing, giant axe wielding, ear bleeding mayhem? Absolutely. Does it deliver anything dramatically surprising or compelling? Nope. Does it do what it sets out to do without stepping on it's own feet? For the most part, yes. So at the very least it makes Godzilla Vs. Kong a success, if that makes any sense.

Just bring your earplugs.

It goes so heavy on the LFE that it was making the metal stall doors in the bathrooms rattle. I had to do a little walk-around the first night to find out why I was hearing this buzz in the lobby.

This is the first 3D movie that I've played since Star Wars 9 in February of last year, so that was a change of pace. (I personally can't see 3D but the customers seem to like it so that's good enough for me.) Also, for the first time since I was restricted to a maximum of 30 tickets per show I had to send 8 people away on Wednesday night. Six of them came back on Thursday but I guess I lost the other two. For some reason "everyone" decided to come to the show on Wednesday.

I enjoyed the music in this one. The story isn't anything spectacular, as you said, but it does look good. And boy, that thing really pounds.

Comment

Exact same here, Frank, first 3D film since Star Wars for us.

We decided to do so without adding the extra charge for 3D, people seem to be loving it.

Really trying to get them back into the theater-going mood.

Fortunately had an empty screen the first Saturday I could put the overfill from the first theater into.

Watched the first half and really liked it, definitely delivers on the big screen action. The people were as expected; dull--but the music and sound really made up for any lacking moments.

Comment

Haven't seen the new one yet. Primarily because theaters in my area are still shut, or I'd have probably have run it by now. For better or worse, I'm old enough to remember seeing the original 1962 version at a tacky neighborhood theater matinee packed with a hundred or so other 9year old kids, who waited for what seemed like an eternity for the movie to open after seeing the trailer & TV ads several weeks before. I've heard that the new version is pretty good, but I seriously doubt that it could match my fond memories of that day. We didn't need CGI, 3D or Atmos sound. We knew it was a couple of guys in monster suits trashing a toy sized Tokyo- - but we still got scared & loved every minute of it.

☞I read recently that Shôichi Hirose, who wore the King Kong suit in that flick is still alive & well at age 103.

Here's director Ishiô Honda having a quick
        production meeting with Godzilla (Haru Nakajima)

KongVsGodzilla1962.jpg

> I read on the internet that the conversation went something like this:
        Godzilla: "What's my motivation in this scene?"
        Director: "Destroy Tokyo!"
        Godzilla: "Got it!"
        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 04-27-2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X