Promising Young Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promising Young Woman

The trailers for this movie are rather misleading. The first one that I saw a while back presented it as kind of a horror-comedy (like Freaky), then the second one presented it as a (serious?) look at a cover-up and culture of sexual assault at a university.

Now that I've watched the movie, I'd say that neither of those descriptions are accurate. This movie described as a comedy on IMDB a while back, but now I see that's changed and it's a "Crime, Drama, Thriller" according to them. I really don't know what to call it. Maybe a very dark satire? A comedy it ain't.

This is a movie with absolutely no good guys or nice characters at all. The heroine is psychotic, the men are evil, the other women are conniving and mean, and even the lady running the coffee shop is just straight-up nasty. There isn't anyone to root for here at all.

So, is it any good? That's a difficult question to answer. It certainly isn't anything like what I was expecting to be watching.

The story starts off a bit slow but it gets good (and rather disturbing) as the events unfold throughout the movie. The ending is completely unexpected, a real mind-bender, and richly deserved by every character involved.

If you're expecting a comedy, this ain't it. The movie is making a point about sexual assault and in that it certainly succeeds. In fact, it beats you with it, over and over.

For what it is, it's well done. But don't expect any happy thoughts.
Working...
X