Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)

We are playing this off-the-break due to Star Wars IX.

We are 45 minutes into the first show of the first night, and have already had three walk-outs due to the language in this movie.

I realize that people who don't like "foul" language are a bunch of prudes and we should all be teaching the kids as many cuss words as possible so they'll fit into today's "woke" society when they grow up, but somebody should tell those idiots at the studios that you shouldn't put repeated multiples of "God-damn" and "shit" and "son-of-a-bitch" into a FAMILY MOVIE. A large portion of the paying audience (many of whom are those prudes in fly-over country) are trying to raise their kids not to have potty-mouths and they just don't like that kind of language in their entertainment.

I could understand it if we were playing "Saving Private Ryan," but to reiterate, this is supposed to be a FAMILY MOVIE. The dumbest thing is, said language adds exactly zero to the story, the comedy, the characters or anything else.

I have no problem with "language" when it fits. But in this case, it's a stain on what's otherwise a pretty entertaining flick

Two stars out of five for me. One star docked for the comments I'm bound to receive after every showing of this thing.

In Saskatchewan this movie is classified "PG Violence, coarse language". I didn't play it for matinees for that reason, but I didn't have a single person complain about the language either. There weren't a lot of little kids that came to see it, though -- mostly teenagers and twenty-somethings.

Comment

I'm in 'good-ol-family-ville' Missouri and this is the first I'm hearing anything of the language. We've been playing it since it opened and it has done EXTREMELY well, Possibly even beating out Star Wars?

Comment

The studios long ago decided the G rating was death. They may feel that way about PG now, also. So they throw in whatever they need to get to, in this case, PG-13. And since it adds nothing to the movie, it takes nothing from the movie if the ratings people make them remove some. As Buck points out, so far the money is rolling in.

Comment

It hasn't been as bad as I expected. We haven't had any more walk-outs, but have had several comments afterward from parents. I think what's helped is, most of the worst language is near the beginning of the show so a lot of people have forgotten it by the time it ends.... I guess.

A lot of the CGI in the movie is unbelievably cheesy but I think the notion that they are "in a video game" is what's behind that.... they probably did it that way on purpose.

Kevin Hart is the best character this time, in my opinion, with Dwayne Johnson running a close second. That guy can do anything. Jack Black is quite funny as well.

Comment

I still having a hard time fitting Dwayne Johnson into anything that's supposed to be a family movie, yet he also somehow appeared in "Journey 2"...

Around here it's rated 12+; but marked with "featuring some violence" and "bad language"...

Comment

Next time someone complains, give them an understanding smile and then kindly point out: "If you were trapped inside a video game, you'd be cursing your fucking face off also."

Comment

Working...
              X