Clifford the Big Red Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clifford the Big Red Dog

This is another movie where someone had the bright idea to make the picture smaller than the screen. It's officially flat.

CLIFFORD-BIG-RED-DOG_FTR-2_F_EN-XX_INT_51_4K_PC_20210526_DTB_IOP_OV

However, there's a blank border on all sides of the picture. I'm not entirely sure what the real aspect ratio is supposed to be but flat it is not.

There's a picture floating around the Internet of the puppet that they used to stand in for Clifford while shooting the movie.

FES1s6UVIAENQZU.jpg

The finished product (dog) looks really good; it's well animated and the fur looks great. I've noticed that fur in animated movies looks better and more natural now than it used to just a few years ago.

The story is a bit uneven; when it's good it's pretty darn good but it has a few slow spots that could have used a little tighter editing in my opinion. There's also a Three Stooges style fight scene near the end that is more violent than it needs to be for the really small kids, though I'm sure the twelve year olds will think it's wonderful.

Overall, though, it's a nice fun kind of a movie for parents and grandparents to bring the kids to. For some reason a few of the kids movies have done better than the adult movies these days; Paw Patrol had the biggest attendance of any movie that I've had here since the whole virus thing started. So now I'll just have to hope that Clifford will do something similar.

We were going to carry Clifford before Paramount shat their pants and played their little "pull from schedule then add back at the last minute" routine. Now we don't have a spot for it.

Comment

We managed to slip it in right before Ghostbusters. It did quite well and would have held up for another weekend. It's a decent family film, nothing too special. I was hoping for more big-dog-wreaks-havoc scenes, like they should have turned him loose in a fancy restaurant or something, but I suppose those things are pretty expensive to shoot.

Comment

We may have it if Ghostbusters only does two weeks. But based on this weekend that doesn't seem likely, as Ghostbusters brought in the most people since F9

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
          However, there's a blank border on all sides of the picture. I'm not entirely sure what the real aspect ratio is supposed to be but flat it is not.
          I'm glad you posted this. I was walking down to the boxoffice on Friday night at the drive-in and saw the black borders around the picture and thought my lense setting was messed up.

Comment

Working...
          X