The Forever Purge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Forever Purge

I've always enjoyed the Purge movies. They are all very clever commentaries on current events and moral issues, though I've always wondered if the people whose attitudes and lifestyles are satirized in these movies actually realize that they're being mocked. I suspect that many people don't realize that there's more to the Purge universe than blood, gore and body parts.

The Purge (original movie) was an original concept that was well presented and the follow-ups have all pretty good, which is no mean feat considering that they're up to the fifth movie now.

Unfortunately, the filmmakers might be running out of new ideas for this series. Parts of The Forever Purge are borrowed pretty freely from John Wayne era westerns. A good-sized chunk is a kind of a rehash of Judgment Night. (Not that there's anything wrong with that. Judgment Night is a pretty darn good movie too.) And they have the dune buggy chase across the desert that seems to be obligatory now in apocalyptic movies. (See Mad Max, Terminator, etc.)

The Forever Purge tackles the issues of racism, immigration and border control, and they manage to run it in reverse. A clever and interesting approach that makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Along with the other Purge movies, this will not be on anyone's awards list but it's well done and worth seeing. The weakest of the Purge movies was probably The First Purge (number four), this one is probably second. But even though it's not as good as some of the others, it's still pretty interesting and it's definitely entertaining. There's never a dull moment in a Purge movie.
Working...
X