Space Jam: A New Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Jam: A New Legacy

LeBron James is a terrible actor. This cannot be overstated. Outside of a few happy accidents here and there, the man is Wooden with a capital 'W'. Thankfully the filmmakers seem to realize this so they quickly surround him with a hammy Don Cheadle (how did they get him to agree to this?), a menagerie of wacky cartoon characters, lots of flashing lights, and a booming Hip Hop soundtrack.

Much like the original Space Jam, SJ:ANL exists as some kind of unholy mixture between a legitimate movie and a 2 hour PR Glamour Shot for it's hero-worshipped star and the studio that created it. It's an odd beast to watch, and I never stopped cringing every time a character gushes about how awesome and legendary LeBron is as basketball player to his face. It just reeks of ego fulfillment. Granted, Michael Jordan got the same treatment the first time around, so it seems pretty much par for the course here.

Thankfully the Looney Tunes take over once they are introduced, and while none are really given much opportunity to stick out, their absolutely bat s**t crazy antics inject a lot of energy into the movie.

Visually it is quite striking, with a lot of color and movement. The CGI is very well done across the board with the exception of a digital Don Cheadle near the end, which looks plastic and fake. The sound mix is solid but not overly spectacular, outside of one or two slo-mo sequences that rip off Matrix-like bullet time.

Speaking of the Matrix, it feels like SJ:ANL is purposely trying to reintroduce the movie to the masses in anticipation of The Matrix 4, as it gets conspicuously referenced A LOT, especially for a 22 year old R rated movie. Mad Max: Fury Road is treated the same way (keep an eye out for "Furiosa" coming soon to an HBO Max equipped TV near you!).

All this cross commercialization... It's exhausting to watch. And the real shame is that it isn't all that funny, outside of a few clever sight gags and a surprise cameo from someone with a familiar name. The Looney Tunes are frantic and bounce all around the frame, but their antics are, by and large, more amusing than anything else.

Is it a kids show? It's classified G, it has Bugs Bunny, but now that I've watched it I'm still not sure who the audience is intended to be. Little kids aren't going to be interested in Lebron James, Mad Max and Casablanca. Are adults (young or otherwise) going to come to see Bugs Bunny?

Is Bugs Bunny still even a thing? (I honestly don't know.)

It's a two hour commercial for Warner Bros ("home of all the classics") and some really ghawd-awful music.

But what do I know... I'm probably the wrong generation for this thing and maybe it'll bring in a huge crowd.

Comment

The original didn't do well at the theater from what I've read. It found it's audience on home video.

This one actually seems targeted at the adults that love the original, with the all the 90's references ("Get Ready for This", "Ghetto Superstar") and old movies.

I can't say I didn't find it fitfully entertaining, but my entertainment was more of the "Let's see what insanity ILM can come up with next" variety. Couldn't have cared less about the 'characters'.

And they're bumping this right up against Black Widow, so either WB knows it'll get buried or they're living on a wish and a prayer.

Comment

This was a movie that I was kind of excited for until I saw the trailers. It looked stupid, even for Looney Tunes -- which despite surface appearances, were always pretty SMART entertainment (not stupid). You get a lot more out of the classic LTs if you know what you're watching. This movie looks like just another throw-everything-against-the-wall comedyfest from the Universal/Dreamworks school of animation.

And LeBron's recent political activity isn't going to help matters. I have noticed how he's been de-emphasized in the promotional stuff - only his feet appear on the posters.

As for the question, is Bugs Bunny still a thing? Of course he is! He's still as big as Mickey Mouse and maybe bigger in some ways. I don't know if there's a more recognizable cartoon character on the planet.

Comment

Micky is, by far, now, more recognizable. Kids are indoctrinated into Disney from an early age and his likeness are part of the company logos. Bugs, though certainly in more enjoyable and, as you say, gags for adults too, type cartoons, has not had the amount of slam exposure as he had when kids would watch Saturday morning cartoons. I suspect that if you put up both characters in front of the average 5-6 year old, (or 10-year old), Mickey is going to get more identifications. Now I'd rather watch a Looney Tune cartoon over a Disney (cartoon length, not feature length) but I'm from a different generation than what the youth and young adults of today grew up with.

Comment

That's for sure -- I've seen a good share of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons, not as many of the Disney, but the Warner Bros stuff was always funnier, I thought. I also really like the music in the WB toons. According to a documentary I saw, the Wb animators got the use of the full Warner Bros studio orchestra, where other studios would use smaller bands of musicians for their cartoons to save money.

I will have to agree that you're right about Mick being the more well known these days among kids, considering Disney's Massive Mickey Marketing Machine.

Comment

I think that the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons also dared to go into territory Disney didn't want to go, even back then. Many of them are pretty violent (in an obvious cartoonist way) and may even be seen as "borderline racist" by "modern standards". Both as a kid and as an adult, I've always valued the WB slate of cartoon characters more. Let's be real here: they are way more edgy and funny than Disney's cartoon characters, who are steeped in political correct broth and are "sodium adjusted" to zero, as to not offend anyone anywhere on the planet.

As for the new Space Jam: I yet have to see it, but honestly, I never considered the original to be a really great movie, so my expectations for this one are already set.
              Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 07-19-2021, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Oddly, if you look at Micky when he was a cartoon character, he was a mischievous mouse. it wasn't until he was more of a corporate entity that he moved into being upstanding/wholesome. Most enjoyable (though not all) cartoon characters are at their best when there is that element of mischief. Donald, for sure always has a degree of getting into things. Goofy, on the other hand, is typically the victim of events and is more of the exception to the rule.

Ask someone what their favorite Mickey Mouse cartoon is...beyond Steamboat Willie they'll have a hard time naming one of his or a Mickey "routine" like you'll get with a Bugs/Daffy "Wabbit season/Duck season" from "Rabbit Fire." While classic Disney cartoons are certainly more polished, particularly for their era, WB cartoons had much more memorable stories and were just plain more fun to watch. One can find a classic Mickey Mouse cartoon on YouTube...watch one (any of them) and then compare to a classic Merry Melody...The Disney is polished from beginning to end...the WB is more fun and likely has a "bit" that you'll remember.

Comment

Yeah, the early cartoons featuring Mickey portrayed him as a bit of a mischievous character with some macho traits, but still having his hearth in the right place. He never was a real villain though. Donald, over the years, is more like the usable fool that gets himself into trouble. His short-fused temper will usually only get him deeper in trouble. But usually, there is nobody out to hunt, eat or explode the other.

Another factor that always put me off are the overly high-pitched voices of Mickey and Minnie as well as Donald's barely comprehensible "quack speak".

Interestingly though, there have been a bunch of recent releases, that feature a bit more "old style" Mickey.

Comment

Having just finished playing Space Jam A New Legacy for the past week, it's had the biggest attendance of any movie that I've played since the whole pandemic thing started.

*boggle*

Still not exactly huge crowds, but I'll take it!

Comment

It's been a bit underwhelming so far for us. It's roughly tied with Black Widow for first week but F9 was way more popular than both.

Comment

I thought seeing it on the big screen was fun in being able to see and pinpoint all the ancillary characters that were standing courtside and in the background during the game - the nun from 'The Devils' (?!?) alright Warner Bros. (and the Droogs!)

Comment

Working...
                        X