A Quiet Place Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quiet Place Part 2

I was very impressed with A Quiet Place, since it was an original concept exceptionally well presented. Everything was shown to the audience in one way or another rather than explained or discussed, and there was only a handful of spoken dialogue throughout the movie.

A Quiet Place Part 2 is a sequel, so obviously it can't be as original as the first one. Unfortunately, the filmmakers don't bother to continue with the "silent movie" aspects that made the first one so interesting, so what they end up with is a fairly generic aliens-come-to-earth-and-kill-everyone presentation that's not a bad movie but isn't particularly special or spectacular either.

I am quite glad that I sell drinks in bottles rather than cups since there's a scene about ten minutes into the movie that's guaranteed to make everyone spill their drink on the floor. (Really. I did.)

There's also a scene shortly after the movie starts which is a not-very-subtle reminder to the audience to turn off their cell phones while the movie is on.

Ultimately this is a reasonably good movie that's worth seeing if you liked the first one. If you didn't see the first one, you definitely should before trying to watch Part 2.

For "a quiet place", though, Part 2 is pretty darn loud.

I thought it was great, especially the sound. Considering all the spirited discussion in the main forum about movies smashing their dynamic range it was great to hear one that used dynamics boldly. And that ten minute made me jump too, as I think we're talking abut the same moment (conversation interruptus).

Comment

I saw A Quiet Place Part 2 tonight at Harkins Northfield on their 70-foot wide Cine-Capri screen and had a fantastic time.

There are a few thin spots in the plot, but the filmmaking is so well done that you don't focus on them.

Kudos to Krasinski for holding out for a theatrical release. It was worth the wait.

The presentation put on by Harkins was top-notch. The enormous image was bright and sharp, and there wasn't any stray light on the screen.

The audio was enveloping and immersive. At the same time, there are several extended stretches of dead silence, and they were silent. I didn't hear any noise from other auditoriums or the audience, which was fairly large.

Comment

I thought the movie was very good, although I was hoping for more of an "origin" story on the scary monsters. But maybe they're saving that for Part 3.

The sound mix was terrific. The acting was good all around, too. I saw part of a rerun of "The Devil Wears Prada" on TV over the weekend and it's hard to believe that "Emily" in that movie is the same actress who stars in this movie (Emily Blunt). The kid actors also do a fine job considering there is again very little dialogue.

The story does play a little fast and loose with the "rules" from the first film. In that movie, if you so much as made a sound, the monsters would pop up immediately. This time, it seems to take a little more of a disturbance to trigger monster arrivals. And the story is kind of predictable, but it's such a fun ride that you don't really mind those quibbles, or at least I didn't. It's fun to listen to the audiences being super-quiet.

3.5 out of 5 stars from me. Most of the comments we're getting are positive and we've had quite a few "I'm SO GLAD to be going to movies again!" comments. So maybe we're not quite dead yet after all. Now if they would just re-open those windows a little bit.
        Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 06-01-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

There's a snazzy bit of camera trickery near the beginning of the film as a camera tracks John Krasinski as he walks past a bunch of store windows, and you see his reflection but not that of the camera rig/crew.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Dent View Post
            I thought it was great, especially the sound. Considering all the spirited discussion in the main forum about movies smashing their dynamic range it was great to hear one that used dynamics boldly. And that ten minute made me jump too, as I think we're talking abut the same moment (conversation interruptus).
            yes, the Atmos mix was just as good as the first movie. And seeing this on my favourite new theater in the DMV area, Showplace ICON The Boro (Tyson's Corner, Virginia), it showed off the sound system to spectacular effect.

Comment

Working...
            X