Wrath of Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrath of Man

Guy Ritchie directing Jason Statham gets you a whole lot of bullets, beatings and bad guys.

My only problem with this movie is the same one that I have with all of Jason Statham's movies: I have a really hard time understanding what he says! I don't know if it's just me and I just can't get tuned into his accent somehow or if it's a common problem for others but I always miss at least 50% of his dialogue. It's not really a problem with the kind of movies that he makes, of course, but it would still be nice to be able to watch a movie that he's in and actually understand what he's saying. Oh well. Not this time.

This is about an armoured truck outfit kind of like Brinks. They haul large amounts of money around Los Angeles and are a fat target for thieves. None of the staff at the armoured truck company are particularly nice or sympathetic characters, they're either just wallpaper or they're losers and burn-outs of various kinds. And the thieves are, of course, thieves with all of the baggage and background that goes along with that career choice.

It's a good movie, it's certainly loud, and there's never a dull moment. My only complaint is that the volume that the loot occupies decreases as the main heist proceeds. It starts off as several truck loads, shrinks between scenes about three or four times, and by the time the getaway is underway it all fits into the trunk of a Prius. I understand why it had to get smaller to make the action work as intended, but the movie would have made more sense if they had started off stealing something like diamonds where they would have had less volume to start with. (I just checked. Google tells me that the loot would be 47 cubic yards in real life.)

It's a fun movie and it's pretty much exactly what you expect to see.

One of my regular customers is a musician who I think has done some movie work in the past.

He came out tonight after watching this show and told me that the music in this movie is a replay of the music in the Joker movie from a couple of years ago. Same strings with the treble equalized right out of the mix to give it a creepy feel, pretty much the same soundtrack with a thin re-tread.

It's an interesting observation.

He also said that he really enjoyed this movie, and the story is great! So there's that, as well.

Comment

Working...
    X