No announcement yet.

Los Angeles area 16mm projector repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles area 16mm projector repair?

Hi guys. Is there an expert 16mm projector repair person in the Los Angeles area? I have two Elmo CX-550 xenon projectors that could use some work (one has a grounding issue, the other has a habit of chomping up film that has shrunk a bit). I usually send them to someone in North Carolina but shipping this thing back and forth is costly and not super safe. I figure in Hollywood, the land of motion pictures, there's GOTTA be someone good at 16mm projector repair? Any help appreciated.

Google is your friend: http://www.walterscamerarepairs.com/

They repair cameras and projectors.

Too bad this topic didn't come up about 20 years ago, I knew of a guy who specialized in 16mm repairs, but it has been so long I can't recall his name or location, he may no longer be in business.

All else fails contact someone in film studies or the A/V department at USC or UCLA, they may have a go-to guy for any of their remaining film equipment.

Comment

I remember in the 1970's in Hollywood CA a 16mm projector guy had a place on the bottom of a old hotel on Selma Ave near Las Palmas one block down from Hollywood Blvd that sold and repaired 16mm equipment. The old remodeled hotel is still there but his rental space is used for something else now. The place had a ton of 16mm films for sale and projectors, reels and editing /splice equipment. Long gone last time I looked. I have some Kodak Pageant 16mm projectors and they seem to have held up well made in the mid 1970's. Very easy on film. In LA I found a 16mm film club place off of Sunset Blvd on Alvarado St. They have projectors and plenty of films. They may do or know of someone in the LA area that does 16mm projector repair? At one time the Hollywood area had many 16mm places for sale or repair.

Comment

That 16mm place is called the ' Echo Park Film Center' at 1200 N Alvarado ST in LA CA. They are open mostly Fri thru Sunday. Last time I was in Southern CA i bought some Kodak 16mm splice tape from them.

Comment

Los Angeles Filmforum might be worth getting in touch with. When I worked at the Egyptian, then did a regular Sunday evening show, and much if not most of the stuff they brought was on 16mm. On one or two occasions, they brought 16mm portables with them (because our Eastman 25 couldn't do sub-24 frame rates). I'm guessing that some of their members will likely have contacts for the maintenance and repair of 16mm portable projectors.

Comment

Working...
          X