Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Projectionists of the 20th Century!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Projectionists of the 20th Century!

I want to thank everyone for their generous support and wonderful stories told to me in response to my post for help writing my novel set in a 1958 projection room.

But now I have a new question - mainly because I have been so impressed by the projectionists I've just met.

Who are some of the most famous projectionists of the 20th Century - the insider favorites - the little known or widely known masters - Not necessarily Edison as a projectionist - but more like the man who must have run the projectors at Radio City Music Hall or the Roxy in the 1930's. Who projected Gone With The Wind or Frankenstein to greatest effect? - Or is it the ones who leave the lightest footprint that do the best job, allowing the audience an unblemished presentation - Who are the great guys and great minds - innovators - showmen - personal heroes or favorites - unsung heroes - characters - magicians of the booth - and what of lady projectionists - the Marie Curie of the projection room?

One often hears that one person or another was a master organist at this or that silent movie palace - but who are the projectionists that should be equally recognized and applauded - and who knows their stories?

Thanks again for being there -

Alan J. Adler
    Last edited by Alan Adler; 11-21-2020, 11:20 PM.

You usually won't hear about the projectionist in a place like Radio City Music Hall, because large first class venues usually used a team of projectionists.
    The IATSE which was (is) is the union representing the majority of projectionists wanted two projectionists in the booth at all times for first run & roadshow venues in the larger cities. Each projectionist was often responsible for one of the projectors and the second one was required to double check the other's work.

Projectionists also normally worked shifts so it was normal to have different ones working on different days and hours.

So, I suspect there are no good answers to your question.

Here is a photo of the Waikiki Theater that was for many years the premiere house for Consolidated Amusement Co.

Waikiki Projection Room.jpg
    Last edited by Vern Dias; 11-22-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Added to which, the job is not a public-facing role, and as a general rule, people who are attracted to it tend to be introverts that tend to want to avoid public recognition. And then there is the paradox that the better you are at the job, the less likely it is that your customers will know you exist. It's like being the safety manager at Chernobyl or the captain of the Hindenburg: no-one would ever have heard of them if they hadn't screwed up.

There are some examples of high profile projectionists who are/were actively promoted and publicized by their chains as the experts responsible for great presentation (Nigel Wolland at the Odeon Leicester Square springs to mind), but IMHO, they are the exception that proves the general rule.

Comment

A couple more photos of the Waikiki Theater in Honolulu.
        Attached Files

Comment

Wonderful photos - those lined up projectors remind me of cannons facing the sea on old English fighting ships! I am happy to amend my question to... Who whas the biggest character you ever knew that ran projectors - and who taught you - who was your mentor?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Adler View Post
            Wonderful photos - those lined up projectors remind me of cannons facing the sea on old English fighting ships! I am happy to amend my question to... Who whas the biggest character you ever knew that ran projectors - and who taught you - who was your mentor?
            Oh man, I worked with some characters in my day... the late Charlie Ajar Sr. of Universal Projector Co. fame (See Rick's thread on them). The late Conrad Button was a real hoot, literally the voice and actions of what you'd call an "ornery old coot", and another who I won't name publicly but was a great projectionist, but only when he had some "wacky weed" first. (Otherwise his hyper nature wouldn't let him thread a projector to save his life.)

I was taught projection by a guy at Davis-Monthan AFB at the base theatre, back in 1983. I cannot recall his name, but he was a great showman and a stickler for perfection. There was ZERO automation, and everything was controlled by switches on the wall, except for changeovers, which were a foot button that was easy to drop a reel onto.

Comment

This charming individual was also a character, to put it mildly, and a projectionist - though admittedly, only for three years (between leaving school and joining the army to fight in WWI) in his early adulthood. I have a vague memory that there was another infamous mass murderer projectionist, too, but can't for the life of me remember who.

Comment

Thanks Tony and Leo - I love the murderer story - And Tony - tell us more about the kinds of things the old coot and the nameless one did - love to hear about them. Alan

Comment

my dear friend James Homer Chris was a projectionist all his life, he was born in Atlanta GA and was the projectionist that ran the premier showing of Gone With the Wind in Atlanta. he later moved to Sacramento CA and transferred his IA membership to local #252. He worked most of the booths in the Sacramento valley area and passed a few years back in his late 80s. He told me many stories including the fact he was the only black operator in the Atlanta area in the 1930s and was chosen by the gen. mgr of the theatre to be the operator on premier nite! I always enjoyed visiting with him as I serviced several theatres he worked in. He could have easily passed for James Basket the star of Song of the South in his vocal tone, jobial wit and kind disposition. I miss him! He worked in many larger venues like the Alhambra and the Crest theatres to name a couple.

Comment

One of my favorite projectionists to work with is Bill Taggart from Cleveland, I have worked with him at Sundance, Traverse City, Doha Qatar and Santo Domingo Dominican Republic among other places.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
                      Added to which, the job is not a public-facing role, and as a general rule, people who are attracted to it tend to be introverts that tend to want to avoid public recognition. And then there is the paradox that the better you are at the job, the less likely it is that your customers will know you exist. It's like being the safety manager at Chernobyl or the captain of the Hindenburg: no-one would ever have heard of them if they hadn't screwed up.

There are some examples of high profile projectionists who are/were actively promoted and publicized by their chains as the experts responsible for great presentation (Nigel Wolland at the Odeon Leicester Square springs to mind), but IMHO, they are the exception that proves the general rule.
                      A sports analogy would be the long snapper in Football (American). Unless they screw up, nobody knows who they are.

Comment

the job is not a public-facing role, and as a general rule, people who are attracted to it tend to be introverts that tend to want to avoid public recognition.
                        So THAT'S why I always enjoyed projecting so much! I never really thought about it but it totally fits my shy character.

Comment

I'm an introvert as well, the booth was a safe and happy place, away from all the "crazyies" of the general public. The sights of moving film reels and platters and sounds of the projectors were extremely soothing for me. When I entered, I immediately felt like I was home, I was at peace no matter what was going on. It was my domain where I had complete control. I go back to visit the theaters where I worked as projectionist every now and then, the "silent" whine of the digital machines is a haunting feeling, a place where I no longer feel welcome. But soon I hope to have my own screening room in operation and I'll soon feel home and at peace again.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Adler View Post
                            Thanks Tony and Leo - I love the murderer story - And Tony - tell us more about the kinds of things the old coot and the nameless one did - love to hear about them. Alan
                            Well the old coot was in the industry for many years, used to project at and service adult movie theatres, and told all kinds of the expected stories about those. He loved to literally push people's buttons, as one example he loved to badger people to the point of making them angry, then he would disappear and "pout" for a week or two. He was also very generous, and would often have me sell off equipment for him (and keep all of the proceeds) to help keep my own business afloat during slow times. He was also someone who, to my knowledge, did not have a single enemy in the industry or otherwise. He sadly passed away while arguing with a family member.

As for the other, about the only thing I can say without giving away his identity is that he had a awesome screening room loaded with posters, memorabilia, film reels, etc, that looked like a scene from a Tarentino movie. He too would always help find me work or equipment to sell when I was slow. In return I helped him out a lot with the tech side, as his skills there were lacking.

Comment

The last quotes have gotten me thinking. It feels like not only the projectionist, but the avid movie lover - maybe more so in the analog days - was an introvert, too. When I was a kid and even to this day (I'm 72), going to the movies has always been like therapy for me. Sitting in the theater, good movie or bad, it took me out of myself. The monsters in the monster movies were my best friends when I was little. I don't think I've ever been depressed and a movie not cheered me up. So, maybe the art form is about being alone - and in an audience - and the whole experience is geared for the individual experience and satisfaction - are not all movie lovers loners while watching the big screen - and I suppose the little one, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X