Kinoton FP23 lamphouse swinging halogen lamp mechanism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinoton FP23 lamphouse swinging halogen lamp mechanism

Hi guys. I've found a picture of the Kinoton FP23 lamphouse. The owner wrote: ' Interior of halogen lamphouse. There are always two lamps inside. You can't see the second back-up lamp here as its resting in its socket at a 90° angle from the active lamp near the shutter blade. There's a clever swinging mechanism that will, in case of lamp failure, bring the back-up lamp in front of the film gate. If you're near the projector, there's just a button to press and the mechanism will rotate very quickly. Interruption is minimal. At the end of the show, you remove the cover, replace the burnt out lamp and push on the mechanism that will bring the new bulb in front of the film gate and push the back-up lamp in the back.'
    So I would like to know perhaps somebody own the same lamphouse because I wish to build a swinging lamp mechanism like that. Perhaps even a small video ? Or the lamphouse manual ? The picture owner has never answered my questions sadly. Anyway, alternative ideas are ever welcomed. Thanks !

551999_10151323839466035_287042887_n.jpg

Try to copy Kodak Carousel dia projektor.
    Maybe you can find a cheap slide projector and use the parts IMGP3160.jpg

Comment

Thank you Helmut. Very good suggestion. Is this Kodak mechanism common to many models ?

Comment

I grabbed more pics last night. See them attached, please.
        Attached Files

Comment

These photos may give you some ideas; they are from an older version with the same lamps as used in the FP3. I don't know how it exactly works, but I had the idea that the lamp switch happens automatically when one lamp burns out.

lampen1.JPGlampen3.JPGlampen2.JPG
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Emiel. It's another kind of lamp but I wish to compare distinct lamps anyway. I've been researching condenser lens as well. Thanks a lot friend !

Comment

The Kinotones were inspired by the Bauer lamp changer used in the incandescant lamphouse of the 60s. The lamps rotated on the base, and were held against a spring. The latch was released, when lamp 1 failed, eg no more light on a photo resistor, the transistor became conductive, and the solenoid released the latch, thereby theoretically rotating the new lamp into correct position.
              The lamp system itself was based on a main mirror, not a condensor system. A tiny 2 inch coldlight main mirror. Terribly expensive at the time.
              The shutter was modified, and carried a squirrel cage fan segment that cooled the lamp and mirror.
              I owned a couple of these projectors in the early 90s ands late 90s. The light output from the 400 W halogen low voltage lamp was never really enough, even at small screens. And the color never matched the color film was graded for.
              The aux lamp never got a perfect position, when it was engaged. I did not become a big fan of the system. Plus the lamp holders tended to burn away due to contact resistance after a while.
              The tiny projector's weight was tremendous, as it carried a mains transformer designed by a super safe thinking engineer. The transformer not only supplied the 400 W for the lamp, also 127V for the drive motor, and the 24 V control voltage plus the exciter supply voltage.
              I have replaced these lamps quite quickly with the compact kilowatt Xenons they had in that time. Better light, more reliability, plus more portability, as the two units were lightweight. And with switchmode technology the lamp supply became a no weight item.
              I think, I do have a box with all the parts of the Kinotone system, complete, but without transformer.
              I again tried halogen on my D type DeVry in my flat, but same unsatisfying results as in the past, I will never be a fan of light bulbs in projection.

Comment

Working...
              X