No announcement yet.

list of 70MM audio tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there is such kind of detailed list, I didn't find it yet but you are right, I should spend more time and scan each single title to find out the needed info.

Comment

A title to add: Nutcracker: The Motion Picture (1986) (onscreen title: Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker) in format 42. Only two 70mm prints made that I know of.
      Last edited by Mark Ogden; 03-22-2023, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea Rossi View Post
        If there is such kind of detailed list, I didn't find it yet but you are right, I should spend more time and scan each single title to find out the needed info.
        I’ve written literally hundreds of articles on the subject. It’s unacceptable, in my opinion, for you to have the number of unconfirmed titles on your listing when most of that stuff has in fact already been confirmed. Plus, you’re missing a bunch (“Nutcracker: The Motion Picture,” as Mark O. mentioned earlier, is not the only missing title) and you include several that don’t belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
          "The Miracle Of Todd-AO" is the only 70mm Todd-AO short I know of. At least one print survives. Also "In The Picture is a recent Cinerama short film.

There is also "The March of Todd-AO" (1959): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210830

In the Picture (2012) - added: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2386098/ - thanks!

Originally posted by Mark Ogden View Post
          A title to add: Nutcracker: The Motion Picture (1986) (onscreen title: Pacific Northwest Ballet's Nutcracker) in format 42. Only two 70mm prints made that I know of.
          Thanks Mark! Added: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091658​

Originally posted by Michael Coate View Post
          I’ve written literally hundreds of articles on the subject. It’s unacceptable, in my opinion, for you to have the number of unconfirmed titles on your listing when most of that stuff has in fact already been confirmed. Plus, you’re missing a bunch (“Nutcracker: The Motion Picture,” as Mark O. mentioned earlier, is not the only missing title) and you include several that don’t belong.
          Michael, I understand your disappointment, but I already wrote that (and I quote myself) "I should spend more time and scan each single title to find out the needed info."; I'm not a native English speaker, maybe I had to write must instead of shoud; anyway, sorry, but I can't read a whole website and make the needed updates to the list in two hours... never stated that the list is definitive, it's just a work in progress (in early development, I must add)... and, I didn't write unconfirmed but unknown (to me, at the time of posting), because I didn't find a confirmation (yet) posted by valuable members here, or written on reputable websites as in70mm - and the confirmed ones are taken from official Dolby list, members posts and web pages.

Now, taking for granted that infos on in70mm are good, please leave me some time to read articles and update the list subsequently; as I wrote, I can't edit posts after some time, and the whole list is too long for a single post, hence I'm posting the list on google drive

If you know titles which format should be confirmed or fixed - or that must be added altogether as Nutcracker, please post them here or directly in the list; thanks in advance for your help, and for the priceless help of every members!

Comment

Note: in the list I'll use Format 40 only for 6-track using five-screen channel mix.

Originally posted by Michael Coate View Post
            It’s unacceptable, in my opinion, for you to have the number of unconfirmed titles on your listing when most of that stuff has in fact already been confirmed.
            I don't know what you do intend with "unconfirmed" in the list... the unknown entries are 6-track but unknown (again, to me, right now) if they use a 5-screen channel mix or not... I made a quick homework, and what I've found on in70mm are the following:

It should also be noted that a large number of Todd-AO films were mixed for three screen channels which were then “spread” to fill the five screen channels.​
            (found here: https://www.in70mm.com/news/2014/mit...ges/WSMC20.pdf page 31) interesting! Curious to know which ones used "spread" mix.

“The King and I” was shot in CinemaScope 55 and originally released in 1956 in 35mm CinemaScope and four-track magnetic stereo​
            I've changed it to ❌and added 4-track original mix in the notes

The 70mm prints of “Logan’s Run” ... dual inventory of Dolby* and non-Dolby-encoded discrete six-track stereophonic sound
            Should I assume it was Format 40 and Format 41?

“Panorama Blue" ... it was advertised as in six-track stereo “at least for some 70mm screenings" but general ads and poster art referred to “four-track stereo”​
            So, was it 6-track or 4-track?

"Where Eagles Dare" ... In Europe the film was also road-showed in the largest cinemas, which meant a release with 70mm prints and 6-track magnetic stereophonic sound plus an intermission, music and an entr'acte before the second half of the film.​
            Does it mean the 6-track was just a 4-track with empty LC RC, or a remix?

I've checked the unknow entries, and found these (each line from its own page):

The 70mm prints of “1941”... six-track stereophonic sound “not Dolby encoded"

The 70mm prints of “Black Tights” ... discrete six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Born Free” ... discrete six-track stereophonic sound

“Can-Can" Prints ... were 70mm with discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “The Cardinal” ... six-track stereophonic sound

“Cheyenne Autumn score" ... from 6 channel stereo session masters

... "Circus World" Trailer ... including the 6-channel stereo magnetic stripe sound

The 70mm prints of “Comes a Horseman” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Darling Lili” ... discrete six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Dersu Uzala” ... ... discrete six-channel stereophonic sound

“The Greatest Story Ever Told" ... discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

“The Hallelujah Trail" ... discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “In Harm’s Way” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Kelly’s Heroes” ... six-track stereophonic sound

“King of Kings" ... 70-millimeter ... with discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Lucky Lady” ... six-track stereophonic sound

“Man in the 5th Dimension" ... The multi-lingual seven-channel system ...

The 70mm prints of “Marooned” ... discrete six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Mary, Queen of Scots” ... six-track magnetic audio

“Mutiny on the Bounty"... 70-millimeter ... with discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Napoleon” ... Six-Track Dolby Stereo ““A”"

The 70mm prints of “Porgy and Bess” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “The Poseidon Adventure” ... 6 track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “The Return of a Man Called Horse” ... six-track stereophonic sound

“Rollerball” ... discrete six-track audio

“Ryan's Daughter" ... full 6 track magnetic stereophonic sound

“Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" ... 70mm six-track blow-up re-issue

“Solomon and Sheba” 70mm prints ... discrete six-channel stereophonic sound

“Song of Norway” ... 70-millimeter with discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

“Sweet Charity” ... 70-millimeter with discrete magnetic six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “That’s Entertainment!” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “That’s Entertainment, Part II” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Tom Sawyer” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Too Late the Hero” ... discrete six-channel stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “The Trial of Billy Jack” ... six-track magnetic audio

The 70mm prints of “Molly Brown” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Waterloo” ... six-track magnetic audio

The 70mm prints of “The Wind and the Lion” ... six-track stereophonic sound

The 70mm prints of “Zulu” ... discrete six-track stereophonic sound​
            Now, I can't read anywhere if those used a 5-screen channel mix or not; should I imply that all original 70mm were 5-screen? And about blowups, did they use the same 4-track (L C R S) made for 35mm, with just empty LC RC, or with spreads from L C R? Or were there some blowups that used a 5-screen mix made just for the occasion?

These are all info that I have not - that's why I rely on the experience of the members here!

Comment

I reckon you're facing an impossible task trying to determine which titles used five discrete screen channels and which used a spread mix.

On occasion both were used in the same film. 2001: A Space Odyssey, for example, used a spread mix except for one reel (the final one, I think).

Comment

I know that's nearly impossible, still...

I guess that it's fair to give the sound engineers their due, and that we can include those mixes that used five discrete channels only partially, to be included as five-screen channels (with a note about this).

Comment

Here are the obvious omissions:

1492: Conquest of Paradise (1992)
                  The Abyss (1989)
                  Airport ‘75 (1974)
                  AlienNation (1988)
                  Always (1989)
                  American Flyers (1985)
                  Back to the Future Part II (1989)
                  Back to the Future Part III (1990)
                  Backdraft (1991)
                  Batman (1989)
                  Beaches (1988)
                  Beauty and the Beast (1991)
                  The Bear (1984)
                  The Bear (1988)
                  The Big Blue (1988)
                  Black Rain (1989)
                  The Bonfire of the Vanities (1990)
                  Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
                  Bring on the Night (1985)
                  Casualties of War (1989)
                  Cliffhanger (1993)
                  Cocoon: The Return (1988)
                  Dead Poets Society (1989)
                  Dick Tracy (1990)
                  Die Hard (1988)
                  The Doors (1991)
                  Dragonslayer (1981)
                  The Dirty Dozen (1967)
                  Edward Scissorhands (1990)
                  The Emerald Forest (1985)
                  Fantasia (1990 re-issue)
                  Finian’s Rainbow (1968)
                  Flatliners (1990)
                  Geronimo: An American Legend (1993)
                  Gettysburg (1993)
                  Glory (1989)
                  Gone With the Wind (1967 re-issue)
                  Good Morning, Vietnam (1987)
                  Gorillas in the Mist (1988)
                  The Great Race (1965)
                  Havana (1990)
                  Howards End (1992)
                  In Country (1989)
                  Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
                  Jesus Christ Superstar (1973)
                  Krakatoa East of Java (1969)
                  Krull (1983)
                  Last Action Hero (1993)
                  The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
                  The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)
                  Lethal Weapon (1987)
                  Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)
                  Lifeforce (1985)
                  The Little Mermaid (1989)
                  Mad Max II / The Road Warrior (1981)
                  Memphis Belle (1990)
                  Metamorphoses / Winds of Change (1977)
                  The Mission (1986)
                  Mountains of the Moon (1990)
                  The Ninth Configuration / Twinkle, Twinkle ‘Killer’ Kane (1980)
                  Nutcracker: The Motion Picture (1986)
                  One by One (1974)
                  Over the Top (1987)
                  Point Break (1991)
                  Predator 2 (1990)
                  The Presidio (1988)
                  The Razor’s Edge (1984)
                  The Remains of the Day (1993)
                  Rocky IV (1985)
                  The Rookie (1990)
                  The Sheltering Sky (1990)
                  Shoot to Kill (1988)
                  Short Cuts (1993)
                  Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
                  Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
                  Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
                  Tango & Cash (1989)
                  Tempest (1982)
                  This is Cinerama (1973 re-issue)
                  Time Is On Our Side / Let’s Spend the Night Together (1982)
                  Tough Guys (1986)
                  True Lies (1994)
                  Tucker (1988)
                  The Two Jakes (1990)
                  Valmont (1989)
                  Who’s That Girl (1987)
                  Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
                  Willow (1988)

…plus countless others exhibited only in international territories.

Comment

Thanks Michael!

As the list started with the intention to find out which titles were five-screen channels, I left out blow-ups; so now I added them, and the ones that you posted I was missing - by the way, there were few already in the actual list

I've checked the Dolby official list and assigned Dolby Stereo to the appropriate titles (because I don't know the format); to the other blow-ups I assigned the​ ⚫ ​NO probably status, as their mix were usually non-native 6-track - but I'm sure there are some exception, so I will be happy to be proven wrong!

New revised list here: google drive - added Image, Sound, and General notes

Hope you appreciate the work, and as usually, keep posting info on wrong titles and also, important, confirmations!

Comment

I believe these ones never got released in 70mm…

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
                      Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
                      The Blue Max
                      The Charge of the Light Brigade
                      Country
                      Down and Out in Beverly Hills
                      Final Approach
                      Give My Regards to Broad Street
                      Hawaii
                      Kansas
                      King Kong
                      The Last Dragon
                      Metropolis
                      Narrow Margin
                      Rhinestone
                      The Sicilian
                      Thoroughly Modern Millie
                      Woodstock

Comment

These were on the Dolby official list, so I *guess* they were released, as the list was dated 1998 and these were older:

Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
                        Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
                        Country
                        Final Approach
                        Give My Regards to Broad Street
                        Kansas
                        Last Dragon
                        Narrow Margin
                        Sicilian

​Metropolis: it's on the Dolby list, too, but I strongly suppose it's just "Akira" - I'll change title accordingly.

These I'll delete as I've found no proofs too:

Blue Max
                        Charge of the Light Brigade
                        Down and Out in Beverly Hills
                        Hawaii
                        King Kong
                        Rhinestone
                        Thoroughly Modern Millie
                        Woodstock

​Updated list tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea Rossi View Post
                          ​Metropolis: it's on the Dolby list, too, but I strongly suppose it's just "Akira" - I'll change title accordingly.
                          Adding the year of release could help too..

I'm sure if Fritz Lang would have 70mm and Dolby sound at his disposal in 1927, he would've used it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                            Adding the year of release could help too..

I'm sure if Fritz Lang would have 70mm and Dolby sound at his disposal in 1927, he would've used it.
                            I agree on both; but there were no relase years on the Dolby list..

New updated list

Comment

Lawrence was a 4-track master, spread to 6 in both 1962 and 1988.

The 1960 recording of Spartacus was 6-track. The 1989 was recorded as both 6 (5 screen channels) and 5.1

Napoleon was recorded as 6-track, but used baby booms, mostly for organ passages.

2001 was recorded 4-track with the exception of the final reel, which was recorded full 6-track.

Generally UK recordings 1968 and earlier were all recorded 4-track, and spread.

Nicolas and Alexandra was monaural.

The Godfather was monaural.
                              Last edited by Robert Harris; 03-30-2023, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks Robert, updated list here

I don' know which UK 6-track recordings were made before 1968 except Lawrence of Arabia - may you add some title?

Godfather: are you referring to ​The Godfather Part III?

Out of curiosity, but... are you THIS Robert Harris?!?

Comment

Working...
                                X