• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mark,
    Did yo you know John Mitchell?
    Cheers,
    Bill.

Comment

No, not other than emailing with him. A collector friend did make it to his place back in the late 1980's and John ran a print while he was there. There were also a few articles written about John's installation, but a YouTube video of his system has been replaced with one containing still pictures.

Comment

Hi Mark,
        That wasn’t Carey Williams? Because if it was that’s when I met John also.
        Cheers,
        Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Ryan View Post
          Hi Mark,
          That wasn’t Carey Williams? Because if it was that’s when I met John also.
          Cheers,
          Bill.
          Yes, it was. He had a huge projector collection and then sold it off and bought a miniature steam railroad in Michigan.

Comment

I am pretty sure that Cinerama machine mentioned elsewhere in this thread was actually one of Carey’s machines.This projector collecting is a bit of a disease.......

Comment

I was fortunate to be there when John Mitchell and John Harvey first met in Dayton, Ohio. I don't remember the exact date but I think it was in the mid 80's. I am not sure they ever met in person again after that. In later years Harvey used to refer to him as "Mitch." The attached pic is a photograph I snapped of the two in Harvey's "Wonderama" screening room in his basement. "Mitch" stayed for a few days in Dayton. Great memories.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Robert,
                One my associates down under has confirmed that John Mitchell and John Harvey did in fact meet again in Bradford in 1993.
                Cheers,
                Bill.

Comment

Does anyone here know what happened to John
                  Harvey’s gear after it was removed from the New
                  Neon?

Comment

A guy in Cincinnati (Ohio) by the name of Bob Sobal bought the equipment, reportedly for about $10K. John Harvey had helped set up a Cinerama theater in the guys basement. It's not known if Mr. Sobal ever uses it or not, although it seems unlikely, since nobody active with 3-strip restorations & screenings has ever heard about anything happening there, or received any requests for info or help.

Comment

Bill
                      I received the attached photo from John Mitchell in early 2020. It shows him as a younger man in what I call a "Cinerama Graveyard" (sad). The caption was provided by John as part of the photo.

Some time back I thought I remembered reading in an article on the "In70mm.com" website that John had donated his 3-strip print of How The West Was Won to the Museum in Bradford. However this past year I read on another message board that someone had gone to the Wide Screen Weekend in Bradford in October 2022 and attended a 3-strip screening of HTWWW with German subtitles. Today I searched the "in70mm.com" website but could not find the earlier article. Would you happen to know if John Mitchell actually did donate his HTWW print to Bradford? I don't believe his print had German subtitles.
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Ryan View Post
                        I am pretty sure that Cinerama machine mentioned elsewhere in this thread was actually one of Carey’s machines.This projector collecting is a bit of a disease.......
                        I bought a number of Cinerama heads from Carey over the years. Also two or three 70mm only Cinerama heads. The latter heads were all converted to 35/70 and two were installed in thraters, one was in my home screening room. The Cinemiracle Projectors came from a fellow in Sun City, AZ whose name escapes me. I used to buy prints from the guy.

Comment

Hello Robert,
                          John had 4 prints of HTWWW in Cinerama. 1 went to Bradford. 1 went to a collector in the US.
                          I have the remaining 2. One has been shortened
                          by John. But I have all the out takes.
                          cheers
                          Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Sobin View Post
                            Bill
                            I received the attached photo from John Mitchell in early 2020. It shows him as a younger man in what I call a "Cinerama Graveyard" (sad). The caption was provided by John as part of the photo.

Some time back I thought I remembered reading in an article on the "In70mm.com" website that John had donated his 3-strip print of How The West Was Won to the Museum in Bradford. However this past year I read on another message board that someone had gone to the Wide Screen Weekend in Bradford in October 2022 and attended a 3-strip screening of HTWWW with German subtitles. Today I searched the "in70mm.com" website but could not find the earlier article. Would you happen to know if John Mitchell actually did donate his HTWW print to Bradford? I don't believe his print had German subtitles.
                            Not quite true. The print shown at Bradford this October was originally obtained by the museum with a German Soundtrack. However, as the Cinerama soundtracks are on a seperate reel, they eventually obtained an English language reel to replace it.

The print was in excellent condition for a its age btw.(and no German subtitles).

Comment

The sound reels as far as I remember were duplicated at Teccon Enterprises in San Dimas, CA. Teccon also built special 7 track heads for that job and I saw that John Harvey had them on his dubber as well. Don't know if they have Teccon heads on the Bradford dubber...

Comment

the collector in Sun City was Emil Varga, I knew him and his wife for decades, quite a film buff and historian, I bought many a rare 35mm print from him too! He had a pair of nichon-crown 35/70s in his screening room. He loved six track mag sound too! I was able to get his intro reel for cinerama with Lowell Thomas, it is now in the hands of a film archive friend in Cal.

Comment

Working...
                                X