Need Help Wiring 4-wire Robbins and Meyers Sync Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Wiring 4-wire Robbins and Meyers Sync Motor

I am attempting to do a very simple hook-up of a 4-wire, 1 phase, STANDALONE synchronous motor to a switch with forward/off/reverse.
    It's an old Robbins and Meyers synchronous motor removed from a 16mm JAN 614 telecine projector (110-120v AC, 4-wires: white/green/black/blue, 3600 rpm, 115v, 60 cycle, 2.2 amp, 1/20 HP, Type SKL, FR GX30, 1 phase).

Might anyone know of a simple wiring diagram that I might download … or that you could sketch? Asume I know nothing about wiring. The projector’s schematic is not of value to me … I require a very basic circuit diagram. My general skill level is limited to soldering a 3-wire AC cord to a switch with pos, neg, gnd :-) Also, I am told that there is supposed to be a capacitor attached, but I have no idea what kind of capacitor, or which wires it solders to.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

FYI: I'm trying to gear this motor to the main drive shaft of my Elmo Super 8 ST-1200 Sound projector (via the Elmo’s inching-knob shaft) to transfer sync magnetic sound from Super 8 home movies into a computer so that it will sync up with 24fps picture that was scanned frame by frame. Thanks again for any info.

Can't speak for the motor, but a start capacitor may have been.left in the JAN when the motor was pulled. Likely mounted to the projector chassis near where the motor was mounted. So, if you still have access go take a look.
    As far as coupling the motor to the projector goes, I always used timming.pulleys and belts. Always used XL size pulleys and belts, 3/8, or 1/2 inch wide. If you can drive the shutter shaft, that usually makes it easier to calculate the pulley ratios.

Comment

heres what you need to do :its very simple, you will need a spdt center off toggle switch, a 106-130uf 125v motor start capacitor and the motor. connect the blue and green wires together and then to the neutral ac line (from 125v power source, white ordinarily the white wire on the ac outlet) , connect the capacitor to the black and grey (or white) wire on the motor, then connect the black motor wire to one side of the toggle switch and the grey (or white ) motor wire to the other side of the toggle switch, then connect the center toggle switch connection to the 125v ac hot feed from the power source. (ordinarily red or black wire on a normal ac cord.) i would place an inline fuse of 2.5a in the ac line feeding the toggle sw. then when switched one way the motor will operate and when switched the other way, it will operate in reverse, center position is off. if you experience problem, please email me. have fun! for sake of clarity, some motors had black, blue, green and grey wires, others had black, blue, green and white wires, the white wire is the same as a grey wire.
      Last edited by John Eickhof; 07-26-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I used to own one of those JAN Telecine projectors, and maintained another one at
        a corporate television production facility. The 99% of them used a JAN 614 as the
        projector, and yes, as Mark & John pointed out, there is supposed to be a capacitor
        attached to the motor, and the MFD & Voltage specs John gave you are correct.
        Fortunately, I still have a copy of a manual for the thing so I'm attaching a screen
        shot of one of the wiring diagram pages. I never had to deal with a motor problem
        on one of these, so what I don't remember is if that "motor start relay" was part of
        the motor assembly or located externally
        . Perhaps someone else here knows.
        (I still have one of these JAN's, but its in storage, many miles away from where
        I am at the moment, or I'd go take a look & some pix 4U) In the meantime, I hope
        this diagram helps somewhat. It's a bit overly complex because those Telecine
        units had lotsa extra relays in their circuitry, so that the projector could be controlled
        remotely from the TV control room. It sounds like an interesting project! Good Luck!

This is a diagram from 1966 Manual for a JAN Telecine, Model 61

JanMotorWiring.jpg
        JimC

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone!

Comment

the reason for the fancy start and forward / reverse relays is the telecine-jan can be remote controlled from the stand or the control room of the studio, the relays are un necessary for the motor to operate under ordinary circumstances. also, for telecine, the jan projector runs at 25 frames per second with 5 blade shutter to provide flicker less image into the camera in synch with the analog tv scan rate.
            Last edited by John Eickhof; 07-27-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

That makes sense, John. I was trying to find a diagram from a regular JAN, which I know I have somewhere
              here, that didn't have all the remote relaystuff. Also, after I attached the schematic from my copy here, I
              later realized there IS a copy of the complete manual in the FT Warehouse. ☞I shoulddaknown

Comment

no prob jim, i serviced jan teles as well as rca teles in sac, stockton, and bay area for years when i was with altec ! even had a couple gpl (xl) and brenkerts in the larger stations like KCRA and KRON, not to mention a couple gpl machines at one of the first video tape mastering companies in sac...Video products dist.

Comment

Hi all. Does this little sketch seem right? I figured I'd check first before actually wiring it. Thanks! Mark. PS - I found a 108 -130uf on eBay - I hope that will be ok.
                  jan 416 hookup.jpg

Comment

yessir looks like it will work!

Comment

I notice on the schematic above that there seems to be a question about a motor start relay. After googling, I assume this would cut off the capacitor after startup. I don't know how to properly read these diagrams. Is there any consensus out there as to whether this is already built into the motor, as opposed to being a new part that I require? If I don't use such a device and none is present, what would happen? Thanks.

Comment

I told ya'll it required a capacitor... While I never serviced JAN telecine machines, I did service synchronous driven JAN's at a post house. The motor is identical. When I worked in Broadcast Tee Vee, I only serviced Eastman and RCA telecines. Chicago was mostly an RCA town.

Comment

Working...
                        X