35 and 70 mm licorice pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 and 70 mm licorice pizza

It's a good possibility that I'm getting a 35 or 70 mm of this film at Willow Creek in Plymouth Minnesota, anybody else out there , heard they're getting it. I see on the 70 mm rumor Mill that a theater in New York is getting it in 70 there's got to be a lot less theaters now that have the capability with Pacific ArcLight shut down, and from what I heard the film copies open at the end of November and you're going to have just about a 30-day exclusive ,before it goes wide at Christmas

The AFI/Silver is having me come in to give their 70mm machines the once-over as they consider it a possibility for them in November too.

Wasn't it shot in 35mm Scope? 4K DI so 70mm is probably not going to be a shining example. Also, based on the trailer, I suspect that the cinematography isn't such that 70mm is going to be a major benefit. But, who knows?
    Last edited by Steve Guttag; 10-10-2021, 09:48 PM.

Comment

It was shot in 35mm scope. If the 70mm blowup will come from the 4K intermediate, then... meh... simply a waste of 70mm film.

Comment

Originally posted by David J Hilsgen View Post
        I see on the 70 mm rumor Mill that a theater in New York is getting it in 70
        The Angelica Village East was saying that they were getting it in 70mm, but they are backing away from that now. It’s just as well, it’s a terrible venue for 70mm. The projection down angle is so steep that they wind up trying to mask off the keystoning, cutting off a significant portion of the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
          It was shot in 35mm scope. If the 70mm blowup will come from the 4K intermediate, then... meh... simply a waste of 70mm film.
          There will be a benefit for light levels on very big screens. a 4K DI printed on 70mm will look better than the vast majority of digital projection setups so not a complete waste of 70mm film.

Comment

It's also not a waste if it keeps 70mm projectors in theatres, 70mm processing lines in labs open, and knowledgable people employed to operate them. From the synopsis Licorice Pizza doesn't look like the kind of film I'm too interested in, but if it can help keep 70mm alive then I'm all for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lyle Romer View Post

There will be a benefit for light levels on very big screens. a 4K DI printed on 70mm will look better than the vast majority of digital projection setups so not a complete waste of 70mm film.
              How many film prints will there be struck? A handful? There are more 4K nP laser setups (like the Dolby Cinema ones) out there that will have no problems with sufficient light levels on very big screens.

Originally posted by David Ferguson View Post
              It's also not a waste if it keeps 70mm projectors in theatres, 70mm processing lines in labs open, and knowledgable people employed to operate them. From the synopsis Licorice Pizza doesn't look like the kind of film I'm too interested in, but if it can help keep 70mm alive then I'm all for it!
              With that kind of reasoning, we should just start to push random digitally produced junk out to 70mm, because "it will keep lines open", even if the end-product isn't any better. It reminds me of the trend to push digitally produced records out to vinyl...

Comment

Here's another problem: not every recent movie output on 70mm prints has had those prints consistently booked onto the largest screen in a given location. PT Anderson movies are generally regarded as "art house" fare. The theater in Oklahoma City where I watched "The Hateful Eight" in 70mm had the projection system installed in a mid-size auditorium, and the room had a common width screen featuring vertical masking. Getting movies in 70mm onto giant screens seems to be something exclusive to Christopher Nolan movies these days.

Comment

I've been informed it looks like I'll be getting a 70mm print of "Licorice Pizza" to run here in San Francisco.

Comment

Coolidge Corner in Brookline, MA. has announced it in 70mm (along with a few other PTA films in 35 and 70). I believe that the Somerville Theatre in Somerville, MA. is hoping for a 35mm print (normally, they would get it in 70, but their big auditorium is rented out for December for a live production).

Comment

If the movie was shot in 70mm then play it If you have the projectors and advertise 70mm.

A blow up copy 35mm to 70mm film will look ok on a large screen but not as good as a true 65mm print.

The public does not care and most theatres that play it in 70 I bet won't even advertise they have a 70MM print showing on their marquee like at the Drafthouse New Mission Theatre in San Francisco as they have a great green neon lighted marquee but they no longer put up plastic letters to tell what is playing in the 5 plex.

Maybe Jim the king of 70mm roadshow projectionists can get someone to put 70 MM FILM up outside in Dec when they open the film .I was not that impressed with the trailer on Lic Pizza .

If only the new West Side Story was shot in 70mm like the original was.

Comment

One week ago (on Friday, Nov. 12), the Los Angeles Times had a big ad promoting "Licorice Pizza" -- in 70mm -- coming later at the Village Theater in Westwood. See image. It's a reduced-resolution copy, to comply with image size restrictions here, but "70mm" is clearly touted underneath the image of the girl in the ad. It's a start. Fridays are still the big day for movie ads here, but the Licorice Pizza ad didn't repeat today. Maybe next week, when it opens?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Monohan
                          If the movie was shot in 70mm then play it If you have the projectors and advertise 70mm.
                          My understanding is that it was shot on Super 35 (anamorphic).

Comment

I can't stand Licorice.. so there is that aspect to deal with.

Comment

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...corice%20Pizza

The name of a record store chain that was founded in California.

It gets its name from an old Abbott and Costello routine where they try to sell records, unsuccessfully (saying "Well we could sprinkle cornstarch on the bottom and sell them as Licorice Pizzas"). Apparently it was awesome in the seventies, but was bought out by Sam Goodie in the eighties.

Licorice Pizza is an odd name for a record store, but it makes sense once you think about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X