Dolby E2 Circuit Board Extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolby E2 Circuit Board Extender

Do any of the Dolby experts here remember the application for the Dolby E2 circuit board extender package? It has two parts connected with wires. One part plugs into the card cage and the other accepts the removed circuit board. The part with the circuit board has two 1/4 inch jacks, one labeled 'pink noise in' and the other labeled 'head out'. Could this be a Cat-85 predecessor or, have some connection with magnetic track recording?

Thank you, Paul Finn

THe E2 was used with CAT 64 EQ cards in the Cp200, CP55 and CP65 processors. It was simply a way to allow easy EQ adjustments by placing the Cat64 outside the card cage for setup.

Comment

The E2 was the CAT64 card cage (1U) used in the early Dolby mono days and, I supposed, could be used for adding outboard EQ to things, like the CP100 for, say surrounds.

The CAT67 was the EQ extender.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
        The E2 was the CAT64 card cage (1U) used in the early Dolby mono days and, I supposed, could be used for adding outboard EQ to things, like the CP100 for, say surrounds.

The CAT67 was the EQ extender.
        That is correct, but the OP said:
        It has two parts connected with wires. One part plugs into the card cage and the other accepts the removed circuit board. The part with the circuit board has two 1/4 inch jacks, one labeled 'pink noise in' and the other labeled 'head out'.
        (Bold part added by me.) I replied based on that description...

I read the first part which was a perfect description of the CAT67 extender, but missed the last two words i put in boldtype. I remember the 1/4 jacks on the Cat 67, and recall that one was labelled "Pink Noise in" but was the other labelled "Head out" or "Pink Noise Out" on the 67? Did they have the same electrical hookup with the difference being in the nomenclature?

It has been too long since I had my CAT 67 to remember....(Now that the processor that I kept is my CP65, I wish I had kept that Cat 67...)

I see the E2 was more of a card cage design...makes sense in a fixed use application.

Paul, do you have the card cage style or the one where the card inserts is a single metal "mini card slot" on the end of the cables?

Comment

Upon closer examination, I find that I missed that the pair (card and cables attached metal cage) is also labeled Cat No.67 in addition to E2. The second 1/4 inch jack is labeled "Head Out" which makes me think it may have been for a recording application? The unit including labels appears to be all original Dolby manufacture. Thank you again for the information.

Paul Finn.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Finn View Post
            Upon closer examination, I find that I missed that the pair (card and cables attached metal cage) is also labeled Cat No.67 in addition to E2. The second 1/4 inch jack is labeled "Head Out" which makes me think it may have been for a recording application? The unit including labels appears to be all original Dolby manufacture. Thank you again for the information.

Paul Finn.
            Thank you for the follow up post.

Interesting...I wonder if, in some cases, Dolby used the CAT 67 form factor for the E2?

Hey Steve, are you aware of any electrical differences between the E2 and the CAT 67? You did say the E2 was a 1RU rackmount... come to think of it I do recall seeing an E2 a million years ago, but can't remember where... might have been at a dubbing stage in H'wood.

Comment

The E2 was a 1U outboard Equalizer that contained a CAT64. The labels are due to the fact that the CAT64 contained both an optical preamp EQ (A-Chain) as well as the EQ for the B-Chain. Hence, when loaded into the E2 it was a two equalizers (one for the head/projector one for the speaker).

Here is a link to the brochure for the 364/E2 combination...where Dolby in Cinema started.

http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/m...E2BROCHURE.pdf

Comment

Interestingly it seems that Dolby also labeled some of their Cat. 67's "E2" so this is likely what Paul has.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.
                Last edited by Sean McKinnon; 09-24-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

The E2 was a 1U outboard Equalizer that contained a CAT64. The labels are due to the fact that the CAT64 contained both an optical preamp EQ (A-Chain) as well as the EQ for the B-Chain. Hence, when loaded into the E2 it was a two equalizers (one for the head/projector one for the speaker).

Here is a link to the brochure for the 364/E2 combination...where Dolby in Cinema started.

Steve comes through again, thanks!!

I had never seen that brochure, but I can confirm I did run across the rack version of an E2 before..now if I can be sure of where....

Sean, thanks for the pics too. The one I had years ago didn't have E2 on it, maybe a later production run? I should have kept it since I now have only a CP65 for my setup. May have to try to buy one later when I get to do my room again.

Comment

Sean, you are mis-reading the label. The CAT67 was an accessory (originally) for the E2. It should be read as an Extender FOR the E2 (and any other device that uses the CAT64 module). Earlier CAT67s didn't have the ΒΌ" jacks, by the way.

Comment

Anyone have one they're willing to part with?

Comment

That was how I took it as an E2 Alignment Extender Cat. No 67

Comment

I had four of them that I used on location dailies for a number of years. Eventually replaced with mono CP-65's because they sounded a lot cleaner. But the E-2's certainly served thair purpose.. I did have an extender for each E2

Comment

Working...
                          X