Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How did 24 frams a sec. come about???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How did 24 frams a sec. come about????
Eric Webb
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Eric Webb   Email Eric Webb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard different stories on how it might have came about but i have been researching it and haven't found the answer

Does anybody have any ideas??

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Eyman's "The Speed of Sound : Hollywood and the talkie revolution
1926-1930" states on page 112:
quote:
The speed of the film bearing the sound track had been standardized at 90 feet a minute, 24 frames a second. Although tradition has had it that 90 feet a minute was the optimum speed for the quality of sound reproduction, the fact of the matter was that, originally, Earl Sponable and Theodore Case had been experimenting with a speed of 85 feet a minute, which appears
to have worked satisfactorily. As Sponable said, "After our affiliation with the [Fox company] this was changed to ninety feet a minute in order to use the controlled motors already worked out and used in the Vitaphone system."* The standardization, then, was not made for purposes of sound quality, but for maximum profits for Western Electric.

* Western Electric engineer Stanley Watkins averred that 24 frames per second for Vitaphone was not part of a capitalist plot, but a purely arbitrary decision. "According to strict laboratory procedures, we should have made exhaustive tests and calculations and six months later come up with the correct answer," he related in 1961. "What happened was that we got together with Warners' chief projectionist and asked him how fast they ran the [silent] film in theaters. He told us it went at eighty to ninety feet per minute in the best first-run houses and in the small ones anything from one hundred feet up, according to how many shows they wanted to get in during the day. After a little thought, we settled on ninety feet a minute as a reasonable compromise."

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-01-2005 11:01 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Erpi it was the average speed that was measured in several downtown Chicago booths that the projectors were being cranked at

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-01-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As with many things, people just make it up as they go.

When somebody who invents a machine starts out they make their best educated guess as to how it should work and they try it out in real life. If it works they keep doing it. If it doesn't they modify their original design and try again. After several "design-test" cycles, the resulting machine may or may not resemble the original design at all.

The way I tell it is:

Thomas Edison pretty much arbitrarily decided that movie film would move at 60 feet per minute and 12 frames per foot. (12 frames per sec.) Nice, round numbers. After some experimenting, Edison (and all the other people who helped invent motion pictures) it was decided that 12 frames per second sucked because the picture was too jerky. (Too low frame rate.) It was cranked up to 16 frames per second.

Aside for some adjustments in the size of the frames on the film, movies stayed pretty much at 16 fps for a while, until they started trying to add sound to the films. After several more rounds of experimentation, movies were cranked up to 24 fps and 90 ft/min.

And, there it has stayed ever since. It probably will stay like that until the next big "revolution" in film making... which will probably be the "Digital Revolution". But that won't be for at least another 10 years. (IMHO)

Mike Bianchi
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Mike Bianchi   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Bianchi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 24 frames /48 images per second works well for the principle of persistance of vision, enough for the eyes to trick the brain into believing it is a constant motion.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 03:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..also, I heard that the 16/18fps came about to the metronome timing of a song for the silent cameras that Edison created.

Then, when sound came into being, with the shutter swinging around twice per each frame, that the slow silent frame rate was too bothersome with the light pulsating at 32 pulses per second.

Then the speed was implemented up to the 24fps, being that the pulsating rate from the shutter went up to 48 pulses per second - which got out of the sense for human vision and still saved on the fps of the film stock in the camera and the projector.

..just something that I read about and heard. - thx Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2005 04:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
12 frames per foot
You've got some strange film there Randy, the pictures would be almost square, and you'd need 5 1/3 perfs per frame.

Edison actually started with film running much faster; I can't remember the exact speed, but it was somewhere around 40 fps. Ths was in the Kinetoscope, which used continuously moving film, and a shutter with just a narrow slit in it; It worked for direct viewing, but wouldn't have been very suitable for projection.

Le Cinématographe Lumière was desinged for projection (it also served as a camera) and ran the film intermittantly at much more conventional speeds. The film stock used was almost identical to Edison's, except that it had just a single round perforation on each side, pulled down by a pair of pins. It is actually possible to run modern 35mm film on a Cinématographe, I've seen it done. The pins will fit the third pair of perforations in each frame. The height of the perforations is rather more than it should be, but it does work.

Of course, there were no standards; film ran at whatever speed the operator cared to turn the handle, except for the Kinetoscope which, unusually, was motorised. The Cinématographe had two problems which would have had to be considered when deciding on a speed for it. Firstly, it was something of a film shreader, which could be improved by running it slowly. Secondly, it had a single-bladed, camera style, shutter which caused terrible flicker when used as a projector. This could be improved by running it quickly, so the actual speed had to be a compromise between these two requirements.

Some very early, pre-Edison, machines ran the film very slowly. Le Prince used one of his cameras, the single lens one, to film traffic on Leeds Bridge. Looking at the movement in the subject between frames, this machine probably managed about 6-8 fps. Obviously not fast enough.

During silent days film speeds tended to gradually increase, and it was generally recommended to project films slightly faster than they were shot. By the end of the silent era most cinemas were probably running their projectors at about 20-22 fps. For sound there obviously had to be a standard speed. With optical sound there would have been improved sound quality at a higher speed, but the difference between say 20 and 24 fps would have been prety minimal. It's certainly not the case that 24 was the lowest speed possible for sound recording; within a few years sound was being recorded at much lower speeds on 16mm film. 24 fps was also adopted for sound on disk, where it would have no direct effect on the sound quality. It is said that the 33 1/3 rpm disk speed, certainly not standard at that time, and which would have resulted in a reduction in sound quality, was chosen as it was the highest speed at which a 16 inch disk, the largest that existing presses could produce, would hold the sound for a full 1000 foot reel at 24 fps (11 minutes). I don't know if this was really the case.

I think it was probably a question of needing to set a standard, of recognising that higher speeds gave better results and therefore taking the highest speeds then in use, and rounding up slightly. Increasing the speed much more would have increased costs, but would also have created problems in projection, some of the reels of 'The Jazz Singer' for example are very short. Given that after each changeover the previous reel would have to be taken out to the rewind room, the gate cleaned, the carbons possibly changed, the needle changed, the disk changed, the next reel brought in, laced up, the disk synchronised and everythiing checked before the next changeover I think the projection box must have been a pretty busy place. I'm not sure when 2000 foot double reels were introduced for projection, but I suspect that the increased speed may have had something to do with it. Of course, this was only possible with optical sound.

I doubt that any consideration was given to television transmission when the 24 fps speed was selected; television was still in it's earliest experimental days at that time.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen said
quote: Stephen Furley
I'm not sure when 2000 foot double reels were introduced for projection
Probably when safety film became the norm for projection. When I started in 1958 we were allowed to double up reels to 2000ft if it was safety film. If it was nitrate, and there was still some about at this time, mostly European copies, we were only allowed to have 1000ft of film on each projector at any one time. I last showed nitrate in the 1970s, during the London Film Festival, at the Odeon Leicester Square. We were the only west end cinema to still have a nitrate licence. I think it was a Polish film.

I like to think that 24fps came about because the projectionist wanted to get home early.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 10:01 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Report of the Standards and Nomenclature Committee September, 1927
Camera and Projector Speeds

Silent Film Speed

Silent Films: What Was the Right Speed?

The Silent Film Bookshelf

Speed of Projection
Cause of Speedy Projection
A.S.C. Advocates Holding 60 Ft. per Minute Taking Speed
Problems of a Projectionist
Prompts and Cues for Picture Operators

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edison's 1891-1893 experiments with the kinetograph and kinetoscope recorded images at 46 frames per second. Early work was a horizontal feed with 3/4 inch wide film. In 1892 Edison, Dickson, and Heise constructed a vertical feed camera that used 1 1/2 inch and later 1 9/16 inch wide film.

Edison Motion Pictures, 1890-1900 : an annotated filmography. Charles Musser. ISBN 1-56098-567-4.
quote:
One 35mm foot of film contains 16 different images or frames. Although projection speed varied, one foot of film equaled approximately half a second of running time in 1894-1896 (when Edison films were taken and shown roughly between 30 and 36 frames per second) and closer to one second in 1898-1900 (when Edison films were taken and shown at roughly between 18 and 20 frames per second.)
The Speed of Sound : Hollywood and the talkie revolution. Scott Eyman. ISBN 0-684-81162-6.
quote:
Likewise the decision about the size and speed of the sound discs revolved around manufacturing expedience. "We had our discs processed by the commercial record companies," said Watkins, "and the largest diameter they could handle was about seventeen inches. With a record of that size, the optimum speed to get the ten minutes of recording time we needed was somewhere around 35 revolutions a minute. We standardized at 33 1/3 because that happened to fit best with the gearing arrangements our engineers were working out for coupling the turntable to the picture machine."

Matthew Jaro
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Matthew Jaro   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Jaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vitaphone disks were 12 inch, not 16 inch and could handle a full 1000 foot reel. The speed was 33 1/3 RPM, and the groove went from the inside to the outside.

About persistence of vision: 48 interruptions per second are not enough to avoid flicker in bright scenes or on a white screen (no film in the projector). Also 48 produces motion artifacts such as a stepping during horizontal pans.

The three blade shutters (72 interruptions per second) totally eliminate flicker and improve motion. However, the best solution would have been to use a higher projection speed (like Todd-A-O). I think IMAX has a speed of 30 fps.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-03-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all 70mm 15-perf films have been 24fps, and a very few at 48fps (e.g., IMAX-HD feature "Momentum").

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2005 11:38 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While there were 12" Vitaphone disks for trailers, most Vitaphone disks were indeed 16" for features.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vtaphone Project web page

It's amasing how many of these disks have managed to survive. I even knew somebody, now dead, who had a couple of the matrices from which they were pressed.

I have a print of a short from several years after sound on disk finished, which has the Vitaphone logo on it, so it wasn't only used for disk releases.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-03-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Jaro
The three blade shutters (72 interruptions per second) totally eliminate flicker and improve motion.
True, but needs tons of light to fire through those three swinging blades. Like 16mm telecine machines with their 5 bladed shutters-tons of light.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: