Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Comments and Info on Robert Film Service Lamphouse / Reflector Upgrades (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Comments and Info on Robert Film Service Lamphouse / Reflector Upgrades
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-07-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that this has been mentioned in passing a few times in the past, but if anyone would like to share any info, comments or experience regarding the lamphouse / reflector upgrades offered by Robert Film Service in Montreal, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Robert have a web site?
Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-07-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had heard he was in the process of making one, don't know if it's operational yet.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend in Chicago was all enthused about his stuff, but then seems have changed his mind and that the X-60 glass reflector beats em all. Of course the X-60 glass reflector is extremely scarce. There are a pair in the Dolby Screening room.....
Mark @ CLACO

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 09:17 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago I bought a xenon 16mm projector modified to run 6000 ft reels from him. I wrote him last summer regarding some questions I had concerning the machine. I'm still waiting for him to answer my letter and e-mails. If you go to his web site (www.robertfilm.com) it says "This site is currently under construction". It has said that for several years. The last phone number I had for him was (514) 337-4956. His address is (or was) 6969 Route Trans Canada, Suite 105, Ville St. Laurent, Quebec H4T 1V8. He had also advertised in Boxoffice a couple of times. I don't know about the reflectors.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
daryl; and all
interesting, i am involved with the process of installing equipment for a very small "art cinema" about to be built here and we are dealing with robert film services - this process so far has involved countless emails and questions. i found they have been very responsive. one of the executive board members had dealt with robert film before so that is why we are involved with them again - normally i would have tried at least three dealers and started with that. they seemed curiously determined to up-sell this technilight conversion kit i know nothing about - but specs seem good so we may try it. after much haggling i think we have the equipment we want - all used of course so we will see - nothing finalized yet. certainly will keep you all informed re:cinema, equiptment and all.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 06-08-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your comments so far guys! Keep 'em coming.

Technilight! That's what they're calling it, I had forgotten. Anyway, I need to light a pair of 100' scope drive-in screens and am interested in hearing about anybody's experience with the Technilight conversions -- especially on large screens.

Michael, could you post these specs that you are impressed with? Thanks.

-- Daryl

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We purchased the first technalight conversion kit in the US about a year and half ago and have since purchase two additional kits for super 80's. We were used as sort of a test site and I had to sign a confidentiality agreement, so I don’t feel comfortable posting any pictures or giving detail information about what is done other than to say that the technalight conversion is more than just the reflector. I am not associated with Robert Film Service or Technalight, just a customer. NCS is the exclusive distributor in the US for screens under 60ft and you can purchase directly from Robert for screens over 60ft. I got involved whenever NCS told me about this guy who had a conversion kit that would increase your light output plus allow you to drop a bulb size. I’m the kinda of guy who is willing to look at new ideas provided it doesn’t cost me a lot of money. NCS and Robert made me a deal of installing the kit at their expense and I would agree to purchase if I was satisfied. Hard to go wrong on that deal! I was very impressed with the results which dropped the bulb size down from a 4000wt to a 3000wt with an extremely brilliant white light(no greys) with readings in 20's on a 46ft old matte screen if ran at max amperage. I have been extremely pleased with the conversions and will probably purchase another kit for a super 80 once the metal reflector dies. My experience with Robert Film Service has been nothing but positive with very good customer service. Daryl, I know Robert is doing some of the majors IMAX screens for 35mm with good results but don’t have any personal experience on that size of screen. I know Robert has a 4200 wt bulb and kit that replace a 7000wt bulb. You might want to give them a call direct.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 03:53 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen one of these, but it's my understanding that what this upgrade involves is mounting an older design Kinoton mirror in a non-Kinoton lamphouse. The ability to use a bulb a 1 or possibly 2 sizes smaller for the same screen illumination is typical for Kinoton lamphouses. What does the upgrade kit cost?

Larry

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-12-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly being exclusively distributed by NCS will limit their influx into the US market. Most theatre owners I know would never buy item one from them....
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-12-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kinoton and the Ernamann glass reflector can't be beat for light output. For years Phillips sold the reflector with a ignitor and mounting hardware on a plate called a xenoblock as a retrofit for carbon arc lamphouses (morganite used this kit a lot) (similar to the kniesly kit but better optics).
I question the advantage of upgradingg a old metal box and ignitor when the kinoton and the ernamann lamphouses are reasonable in price to start with.
Also MeOpta makes an excellent glass reflector for OEM apps

Mark A. MacLellan
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark A. MacLellan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one made for interesting reading but I think some of the myths have to be debunked. The Technalight conversion system allows for a decrease in lamp size and dramatic increase in light on-screen while improving the definition tremendously. This is achieved by installing a glass reflector (which is not from Kinoton, it is custom made exclusively for Technalight overseas). Kits are available for nearly any lamphouse and the system is currently in use or in testing by the likes of Regal, AMC, Pacific Theatres, Cinemagic, Movieco, Consolidated, Loews, etc. And the website does in fact work...www.robertfilm.com or call the office directly at 514-337-4956. Daryl, you'd be well advised to check out the Technalight system because drive-ins are one of the best applications for Technalight. The 5-Drive In in Oakville has Technalight on all 3 of their screens.

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their site says they can "increase the light output on screen by as much as 500%". If they can do that, compared to a properly aligned modern non-Technalight system (other comparisons would be meaningless/misleading), it would be pretty amazing. I remain very skeptical.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-01-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an internet company playing radio ads claiming a 500% increase in speed, all from your standard dialup phone line. In fact they don't even specify you need a 56K modem. The ad clearly states that you can use any old modem to experience DSL speeds with their fabulous service.

http://www.getjoy.net

I'm calling [bs] on that one!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2003 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by my friend in Chicago that the reflector is manufactured in Japan for them, about 8 inches in diameter or thereabouts. The lamp was designed for them by Osram and is specially shaped.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: