Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Large Format Forum   » Are there any Imax projectors out there? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Are there any Imax projectors out there?
Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 11:45 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a stupid question because I couldn't imagine any being available but I have some Imax trailers and thought what a kick it would be to view them at home. No name calling, please.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-16-2004 12:30 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Imax leases its projectors to theaters (except for a rare few early installs). There are none for sale.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 01:51 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I recently saw a Maverick 15/70 kicking around in a Riverside, CA warehouse. Not sure what will become of it (or the "Maverick" concept for that matter). At least it's a bit more compact than an Imax projector.

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 02:42 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Development Company (CDC) makes 15/70 rolling loop projectors for buy... They are a bit cheaper then IMAX, but you get what you pay for in my opinion. [Wink]

You want compact, check out the IMAX SR projector, its about 1/4 the size of a typical 15/70. [Smile]

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 12:33 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And,,,,,The new MPX projectors by IMAX will be smaller than the SR projectors. (so I am told by IMAX)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2004 12:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They are a bit cheaper then IMAX, but you get what you pay for in my opinion."

Stuart, Actually what you have there is far better than the Imax SR Projector. The CDC produces a much steadier image, its easier on film because of the larger rotor and you have the capability to use the full output of a 15kw lamp if you want to.

Your picture quality at M.A.L. is far superior to the Imax Theatre here in SLC,and easily twice as bright. Now if there was a real Imax in town that was equipped with the larger Imax projector then you'd have some stiff competition. You sound playbacl is also every bit as good. However your presentation rates in the land of being dismal.

Re: the Maverick projector.....

I met and talked with one of the designers a while back and what killed an otherwise good projector was a lack of a decent platter system. At installations that utilized the MAverick projector they were teamed up with a Strong Special venue platter. The people that gave financial backing to build the MAverick cut it off when it came time to build a proper platter system..... Its the Strong platter that was the weak link and that eventually killed the two installations that existed.
Mark @ CLACO

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2004 04:35 PM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could go over all the problems that we have had with our system as a result of going with a cheaper brand and used equiptment, but I think I would get into trouble with the bosses if I did.

Overall, I still stand by my origonal statement: "you get what you pay for..." [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2004 07:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have wondered what became of the two mavericks that did get installed as it would be worht preserving one

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2004 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart,
98% of the problems with your booth stemmed from penny pinching in the wrong places and not having any UPS supply. The system took way to many power bumps in the first year of operation. A UPS supply was originally spec'sd in but that was nixed... so they learned the hard/expensive way and now there is a UPS supply. I can definately say they were told there would be problems without one. I also feel that CDC many be another part of the reliability problem.... not that they don't know their machine... just that they seem to stretch the time between service a bit too long. Its intereating if you look at the Zion Canyon projectors history. They have not missed a single show or had any breakdown at all since the machine was installed. Its mainly doe to the fact that someone else is servicing the booth down there and that the projector gets more frequent and more throughly done service visits and that the operation is run with a far more professional staff that have many years experience in the LF field.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-16-2004 09:08 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
not that they don't know their machine... just that they seem to stretch the time between service a bit too long
Keep in mind Mark, that it's the "cheapness" of the customer that dictates the service contract... the number of visits, the time between visits, and what is included.

So,

quote: Stewart Anderson was the last to post
"you get what you pay for..."
Ya got that right.

I do agree that the CDC is a FAR superior machine than ALL the later IMAX machines.

I also agree with what were the basic causes for the problems at Stewart's theatre. Ummm... see the "cheapness" comment above. [uhoh]

BTW: I would stay away from the Maverick unless you wear a full set of armor including chainmail at strategic locations to protect all body parts. [Wink]

>>> Phil

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-16-2004 11:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then Stewart is still wrong in his statement about a "cheaper brand of used equipment". What I really think he meant was a cheaper type of service contract that was bought by the cheapskates he works for.

With these machines I find that its all about what you maintain and how often you do it. They are easily capable of running with ZERO problems.

Mark

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-16-2004 11:21 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a company trying to sell a Maverick at ShoWest.

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 12:56 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't thought of the lack of problems since the UPS was installed, but we are definitely still "debugging" the system. And I'm getting pretty fed up with stretched tape splices, especially when I'm personally monitoring all of them almost weekly.

And as for the "bugs", well for example:

About 3 weeks ago our right eye dowser refused to open. I got in there and greased the guide beams that the neumatic dowser travels on and the air pressure was normal, but still the damn thing wouldn't open unless I gently hit the front of the projector to dislodge the dowser. Fortunately CDC was already coming in to update the power supplies because they thought they were getting too hot. So they fixed the power supplies and the dowsers, but now the dowsers are opening too soon so the last few frames of the countdown are exposed on screen. So this means they were actually compensating for the dowsers sluggishly opening. Now that they are opening normal we are having to keep the dowsers "onlock" untill the countdown is done.

So I STILL stand by my original statement.... [Smile] [Smile]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-17-2004 01:18 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, What can I say? DUH! Ya can lead a horse to water, but...

FYI: ANYBODY that has ANY clue would never use a tape splice on a rolling-loop projector. Zig-Zag or straight cut...just not practical considering the stresses involved. Sooner or later, they WILL stretch and fail. That's why REAL men use ultrasonic splicers. Perhaps You(r) theatre NEEDS some guidance as to the REAL world of 1570?

You are sounding like a broken record...

>>> Phil

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the prints come built up and RPG and other film companies strongly prohibit me from changing those splices. I did this once with Ocean Oasis, then was chewed out by RPG.

CDC says tape splices are perfectly acceptable...However BELEIVE ME WHEN I SAY, IF I HAD IT MY WAY, 70MM TAPE SPLICES WOULD NEVER BE USED ON 1570. Or on 870 for that matter.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: